The selection procedure of SSC Stenographer includes Computer Based Test and Skill Test. Candidates who appeared in the exam will be selected on the basis of their performance in Computer Based Test (CBT), however, they need to meet the qualifying standards of the stenography test.
Get FREE SSC Stenographer 2021 Mock Tests, Sectional Quiz, Previous Years Papers. Click Here
- The commission will release answer keys prior to the declaration of the result.
- Candidates after cross-verifying answers of the written test from SSC Stenographer answer key 2021 can estimate their probable score.
- Only those candidates who qualify for the written test are allowed to take part in the skill test.
- After the skill test, a merit list of qualified candidates is prepared and recruitment is done based on the list.
- SSC Stenographer Cut off 2021 will be released separately for Grade C and D posts.
Candidates will be on probation for 2 years and have to undergo training. SSC Stenographer Selection procedure 2021 is explained in detail on this page.
SSC Stenographer Skill Test 2021 Highlights
- Candidates who qualify in the written examination will have to appear for the stenography test.
- Candidates will be given one dictation for 10 minutes in English/Hindi with the speed of:
- 80 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade “D”.
- 100 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade “C”
- The matter will have to be transcribed on the computer only.
SSC Stenographer 2021 Transcription Time
The written content produced by the candidate will have to be transcribed on a computer. The following transcription times have been decided for SSC Stenographer 2021:
||Language of Skill Test
||Time Duration (in minutes)
||Time Duration (in minutes) for the candidates who are allowed use of scribe in the Computer Based Examination
- Candidates who choose to take the test in Hindi will also be mandated to learn English Stenography and vice versa after their appointment, failure to do so will result in their probation not being cleared by appointing departments.
- Candidates will be asked to work as Hindi / English stenographers as per the requirements of the User Office, irrespective of the medium chosen by the candidate during the exam.
- Skill test will be conducted at a Centre(s) decided by the Commission and may take place at the Commission’s Sub Regional Offices / Regional Offices or any of the other centres.
- Detailed instructions pertaining to any Skill Test will be posted to the required Sub Regional / Sub Regional Offices of the Commission.
- Standard instructions referring to the modality of the evaluation of the skill test is available on the Commission’s website.
SSC Stenographer Skill Test Cut off
- Candidates who obtain the qualifying marks in the written examination as prescribed by the commission will only be called for skill test.
- Skill test will be of a qualifying nature and the commission will fix the qualifying standards in the skill test for different category of candidates.
- Candidates will have to appear for the Stenography Test.
- Candidates will be given one dictation for 10 minutes in English/ Hindi at the speed of 100 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade C and 80 w.p.m. for the post of Stenographer Grade D.
- The matter will have to be transcribed on the computer only. The evaluation of transcription will be done electronically only.
- There is no exemption from the skill test for any category of candidates.
- Candidates who opt to take the Stenography Test in Hindi will be required to learn English Stenography and vice versa after their appointment, failing which their probation may not be cleared by appointing departments.
- Candidates have to work as English/ Hindi stenographers as per the functional requirement of the user office irrespective of the medium of skill test of the candidate during the examination.
Candidates have to qualify the skill test by obtaining minimum qualifying marks. Candidates qualifying the skill test would be listed in the merit list as per their performance in the skill test. For, your reference we have tabled the minimum qualifying marks or cut-off marks from previous years analysis required to clear the SSC stenographer skill test.
SSC Stenographer Skill Test Cutoff for Grade C
SSC Stenographer Skill Test Cutoff for Grade D
SSC Stenographer Selection Process
As we discussed earlier SSC Stenographer exam is a two-stage process that involves a written test followed by a skill test. Unlike other SSC exams, there is no third stage or interview. However, candidates qualifying both the stages have to undergo the medical test in order to ensure the fitness and health of their bodies.
Practice Previous Years Papers of SSC Stenographer during your preparation
Important Instructions for SSC Stenographer Skill Test
Candidates are required to adhere to the important instructions provided on a separate page attached to the SSC Stenographer admit card (downloaded from the website). For your reference we have mentioned those guidelines here as well.
- Candidates should practice enough mocks before the written exam so as to ace the exam with ease.
- They should also do a sufficient amount of typing practice before appearing in the skill test. While practice candidates must ensure that they reached the desired typing standards that are desired by the selection authorities.
- Candidates must bring two passport size colored photograph along with admit card and original photo ID proof to the exam venue.
- No electronic device such as a mobile, calculator, or other wireless equipment is allowed in the exam premises.
- Candidates should bring their own stationery like pen/pencil, eraser etc. for the exam.
- Applicants are advised to reach the exam venue 35 to 40 minutes before the scheduled time for commencement of the exam.
- They would not be allowed to leave the exam hall before the completion of the exam time.
- Parents and guardians are not allowed to enter the exam hall/venue.
Read SSC Stenographer Preparation Tips for Skill Test
Frequently Asked Questions
Ques. What is the SSC Stenography Skill Test?
Ans. Candidates are generally shortlisted for the skill test on the basis of their performance on the Computer Based Examination (CBE). Candidates will be prescribed one dictation for the duration of 10 minutes, in either English or Hindi (as selected by the applicant in the application form). They have to transcribe the details at the speed of 100 word per minute (w.p.m) for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘C’ and 80 word per minute (w.p.m) for the post of Stenographer Grade ‘D’.
Ques. If I choose to take the Stenography Test in Hindi, will I have to learn English Stenography?
Ans. Candidates who choose to take the Stenography Test in the Hindi medium will be mandated to learn English Stenography and vice versa after their appointment has been finalized. Failure to do so will lead to their probation not being cleared by appointing departments.
Candidates have to work as English / Hindi stenographers as per the functional requirements of the User Office irrespective of the medium of Skill Test of the candidate during the examination.
Ques. Where will the SSC 2021 Stenography Skill Test be held?
Ans. Skill Test will be conducted at the Commission’s Regional / Sub Regional Offices or at other Centre(s) as may be decided and selected by the Commission.
Ques. Where can I get to know details and instructions about the SSC 2021 Stenography Skill Test?
Ans. Standard instructions regarding modality of evaluation of Skill Test is available at the Candidate’s Corner Section on the Commission’s website.