IES Eligibility Criteria 2020 is set by the Union Public Service Commission. Engineering graduates or those in their final year can apply online for IES 2020. This year, IES Prelims and Main examination are scheduled for January 5, 2020, and June 28, 2020, respectively.
Get FREE IES 2021 Mock Tests, Sectional Quiz, Previous Years Papers. Click Here
IES Eligibility parameters are based on the following factors:
- Age Limits
- Minimum Educational Qualification
- Medical Examination
A brief about IES Eligibility is listed below:
- Resident of India, Nepal, Bhutan, or a Tibetan refugee can apply for IES 2020.
- Candidate must hold a bachelor’s degree in the field of engineering from a recognized University.
- IES Age limit: 21-30 years as on January 01, 2020.
Read further to learn about IES nationality, age limit, academic qualification, and physical fitness criteria in detail.
Download IES Sample Papers
IES Eligibility – Nationality
UPSC IES aspirants must note that the following nationals are eligible to apply for IES Exam:
A candidate must be either:
- a citizen of India, or
- a subject of Bhutan, or
- a subject of Nepal, or
- a Tibetan refugee migrated to India before January 01, 1962 with the intention to settle permanently in India
- A person of Indian origin who migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka or East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire and Ethiopia or from Vietnam with the intention of permanently setting in India.
Note: Except Indian citizens, all other nationals are required to produce certificate of eligibility issued by the government of India at the time of document verification.
IES Age Limit (as on 1.1.2020)
IES Age Limit Criteria states that the lower age limit for the UPSC IES exam is 21 years and Upper Age Limit is 30 years.
- The aspirant must not have been born earlier than January 02, 1990 and not later than January 01, 1999.
- Candidate applying for IES 2020 must meet the mentioned IES Age Eligibility by January 01, 2020.
- For those who have served in any government organization will get an age relaxation of 5 years in the upper age limit.
- As per UPSC, any government official applying for IES/ ESE will get the age relaxation even if he/she is already working on a post which is considered of a higher officer cadre.
- There is an age relaxation for the ones who have worked with any government organization on a contractual basis for a period of 3 years or more. The service on the contractual basis will be counted till January 1, 2020.
- SC, ST, OBC, PWD, Ex-servicemen, and Jammu and Kashmir domiciled candidates will also receive an age relaxation of 5 years on the upper age limit.
Candidates of SC/ ST/ OBC/ Ex-servicemen quota will receive cumulative reservation benefits on upper age limit if applicable. Read IES Syllabus
IES Educational Qualifications Requirements
IES educational qualification Criteria as defined for the UPSC requires the applicant to have cleared one of the following criteria:
- must possess a degree in Engineering from a recognized institute with the minimum percentage required.
- should have cleared sections A and B from the Institutions of Engineers (India).
- obtained a degree/diploma in Engineering from such foreign University/ College/ Institution and the certificate is valued as equivalent to the degree received in India.
- passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (India).
- passed Associate Membership Examination Parts II and III/Sections A and B of the Aeronautical Society of India.
- passed Graduate Membership Examination of the Institution of Electronics and Radio Engineers, London held after November 1959.
IES Education Criteria has the following exceptions:
- If a candidate has cleared UPSC IES and has not received the result of the final examination will be admitted only if he/she furnishes the final mark sheet during the UPSC selection process.
- A candidate who has cleared the UPSC IES exam but has received a degree from a foreign university that is not accepted as equivalent to the Indian education standards may get selected. The selection, in this case, is dependent on UPSC selection committee discretion.
- If a candidate does not have an engineering degree but has cleared IES exam will also be selected for the post if the degree is considered equivalent to standards of the engineering degree. Check IES Exam Pattern
IES Eligibility- Medical Examination Standards
- All candidates irrespective of IES reservation criteria have to undergo a medical examination.
- The process requires the applicant to undergo a series of physical fitness tests.
- The standards are to be cleared by all candidates irrespective of their previous appearance for the examination.
- The medical examination defined by UPSC will be conducted at the various Railway hospitals.
- Medical examination schedule, venue, and the final status of the candidate will be uploaded on the official website of Indian Railways – indianrailways.gov.in.
- Candidates are required to carry three sets of forms for Medical Board Report 2020 to be downloaded from the official website of Indian Railways.
- One must carry a valid government-issued photo ID card and three passport size photographs with them.
- Candidates belonging to the PwD category must carry their Disability Certificate in original as per the format prescribed along with additional photocopy of the same.
- Candidates who are found unfit will be disqualified from the further procedure.
Check and go through the IES Mock Test free of cost
Details of Zonal Railway Hospitals
||Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Railway Hospital, Byculla, Mumbai- 400027
||B.R. Singh Hospital
||B.R. Singh Hospital, Seldah, Kolkata- 700001
|East Central Railway
||EC Railway, Karbhigahiya, Patna- 803118
|East Coast Railway
||Basant Lane, Chelmsford road, Connaught place, Delhi- 110001
|North Central Railway
|North Eastern Railway
||Lalit Narayan Mishra Hospital, Gorakhpur-273012
|North East Frontier Railway
||Maligaon, Guwahati- 781011
|North Western Railway
||Ganpati Nagar, Near Jaipur Railway Station, Jaipur- 302006
||Constable Road, Ayanavaram, Perambur, Chennai- 600209
|South Central Railway
||Lalaguda Railway Colony, Secunderabad- 500003
|South Eastern Railway
||Garden Reach Road, Kolkata- 700043
|South East Central Railway
|South Western Railway
||Gadag Road, Hubli- 580023
||Jagjivan Ram Hospital, Maratha Mandir Marg, Mumbai Central, Mumbai- 400001
|West Central Railway
||Indira Market, Jabalpur- 482001
|Note: Only successful registered and eligible candidates will be issued IES Admit Card.