The first step to start with when preparing for HCS (Executive Branch) and Allied Services Exam is getting acquainted with the exam pattern, syllabus and marking scheme. This will help in chalking out how to study and what to study, hence making it easier to proceed with the preparation process. The HPSC Haryana Civil Service exam has been modelled on the lines of UPSC. The exam is a paper-based test, in offline mode. There have been some minor changes in the exam format which has been discussed later in this article.
HPSC HCS Exam Pattern Highlights
The HCS exam has 3 stages for final selection, namely, Preliminary exam, Mains Exam and Personal Interview. Candidates qualifying in Preliminary exam will appear for Mains exam. Thereafter, candidates are called for interview round and the final selection is done.
- Stage I – Preliminary test is only qualifying in nature and consists of two papers.
- Stage II – Mains exam has five papers to be attempted.
- Papers are objective as well as subjective in nature.
- For every incorrect answer, the aspirants will get marks deduction.
HPSC HCS Exam: Prelims Test Pattern
- There will be two papers, each of 100 marks.
- Questions will be objective MCQ based.
- Each paper will have to be completed within 2 hours.
- For every wrong answer, ¼th of marks, i.e. 0.25 will be deducted.
- Question papers will be asked in two languages, that is in Hindi and English.
||Total no. Of Questions
As mentioned earlier, some changes have been approved in the exam pattern of HPSC HCS. Upcoming 2020 exam will be held on the basis of these modifications.
- Paper-II – CSAT, the aptitude paper which was introduced in 2016, from now onwards will be of qualifying nature only.
- At least 33% of marks must be obtained in CSAT.
- Provisional selection for Mains will be based on Paper I only, provided 33% is scored in Paper-II.
- Previously, the selection was based on the score procured in both the papers.
HPSC HCS Exam Pattern: Mains
- Total of 5 papers has to be attempted by the candidates in the HCS Mains examination.
- First 3 papers are compulsory in nature and Papers IV & V are optional; candidates can choose the subjects for these two papers.
- Papers will have questions of conventional nature.
- Each paper will be for 3 hours.
- The Interview round worth 75 marks is also a part of this test.
- Final selection is made on the basis of marks scored out of 675.
||3 hours for each paper
||Hindi (in Devanagari script)
|Total marks in Mains exam
|Total marks in Mains + Personality Test
HPSC HCS Exam: Syllabus for Prelims
Paper I – General Studies
- General Science: Including knowledge on concepts of Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- Current Affairs: Recent happenings in India and the World.
- History of India & Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography
- Indian Polity and Economy: Constitution of India and Economic development in the country, basic concepts of Economics.
- General Mental Ability: testing reasoning and analytical abilities.
- Haryana- Social, economic and cultural institutions, Economy and people; and language of Haryana.
Paper-II – Civil Service Aptitude Test (CSAT)
- Reading comprehension
- Decision-making and problem solving
- Interpersonal skills, including communication skills
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (Class 10 level)
- Data interpretation (Class 10 level)
Syllabus for HPSC HCS Mains Exam
Paper I: English
- Precise writing
- Comprehension skills
- Word usage and vocabulary
- General Grammar knowledge
- Composition or Essay
- Translation of English passage to Hindi
- Letter or precise writing
- Explanation of Hindi passage (with reference to poetry or prose)
- Composition (idioms, proverbs, etc.)
- Essay (choice of topics will be given)
Paper III: General Studies (This paper is divided into 2 parts)
- History of Modern India & Indian culture
- Geography of India
- Indian Polity
- Current national issues and topics of social relevance
- India and the World
- Indian Economy
- Developments in the fields of science and technology, communication and space
- Statistical analysis, graphs and diagrams
Paper IV and V
A list of 23 subjects is given by HPSC to the applicants to choose their optional papers:
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Service
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- English Literature
- Hindi Literature
- Indian History
- Mechanical Engineering
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
- Punjabi Literature
- Sanskrit Literature
However, the following combination of subjects are not allowed to be chosen together
- Political science and International relations with Public Administration.
- Agriculture with Animal husbandry and veterinary service.
- Hindi literature, English literature, Sanskrit literature and Punjabi literature.
- Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Electrical Engineering.
Ques. What is the marking scheme in the HPSC HCS exam?
Ans. In HCS Prelims questions being objective in nature, will carry 1 mark each. All papers in Mains exam will comprise subjective questions, each carrying marks ranging up to 30.
Ques. Is there any negative marking in HCS exam?
Ans. Yes, in preliminary exam 0.25 marks will be deducted for any wrong answer.
Ques. What are the qualifying marks for HCS exam?
Ans. As per the new rules, to qualify for HCS Mains examination the cut-off marks as decided by HPSC must be acquired. Cut off will be based on Paper I as Paper-II will be of qualifying nature only. However, 33% of marks must be secured in CSAT Paper.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.