Agricultural Research Services is the research services of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), an organization under the Department of Agricultural Research and Education (DARE) under the Government of India. This aims to make the country autonomous when it comes to procuring food grains, milk, meat, fish, eggs etc.
The Agricultural Scientists Research Board (ASRB) conducts all the India competitive exams for the ARS to recruit entry-level posts. The examination is the initial port of entry into the services of ICAR (Indian Council of Agricultural Research).
- April 5, 2021: The ASRB NET application process is ongoing. Read more
ASRB NET Important highlights
ASRB NET 2020 Important highlights
|Name of the organization
||Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB)
|Name of the examination
||ICAR National Eligibility Test (NET)
|Date of the written examination
||Education Entrance Exams
|Application Release Date
||2nd week of October (2020)
|Starting date for applying online
||2nd week of October, 2020
|Last date for applying online
||Last week of October, 2020
|Admit Card 2020 Release Date
|ICAR NET 2020 Examination
|ICAR NET 2020 Results Announcement
ASRB NET 2020 vacancies
The official notification regarding the vacancies has not been published yet on the website. The notification regarding the same is to be issued in November,2020.
ASRB NET Eligibility
ASRB NET (ICAR NET) 2020 Eligibility
- The candidate must have a Master’s degree in the concerned subject from a recognized University or Board;
- For NET- the minimum age limit is 21 years;
- Must be a citizen of India, Nepal or Bhutan;
- Citizens having a Tibetan or East African origin will be eligible only after a certificate of eligibility has been issued in their name by the Government of India.
How to apply for ASRB NET 2020 Exam
Aspirants can apply for the ASRB NET 2020 Exam by following the given steps-
- The candidates should the visit the website asrb.org.in
- The candidate should then proceed to click on NET 2020.
- Then the NET application 2020 link.
- The registration details to be entered and the candidate should proceed to login.
- The candidate then fills in the application form carefully and proceeds to clear the payment online.
- The candidate should preserve the receipt fee for further reference.
ASRB NET 2020 Application Fee
Aspirants can get details of ICAR NET 2020 Application Fee from here. Pertaining to the category ASRB NET 2020 application fee is mentioned below-
- Unreserved Category- 1000 INR;
- Other Backward classes (OBC)- 500 INR;
- SC/ST- 250 INR.
ASRB NET Admit Card
ASRB NET 2020 Admit Card
Aspirants who will be taking the ICAR NET Test must visit the website to download the ICAR NET 2020 admit card. The same is issued only to the registered candidates, no hard copy of the admit card shall be sent to the registered candidate via post or courier. It has the basic details like the name of the student, application number, reporting time, location of the test centre etc. The aspirant must carry the hardcopy of the admit card on the day of the examination.
Rules regarding carrying the admit card
- The admit card shall be released 15 days prior to the examination.
- It will be released online via the official website.
- Carrying a printout (hardcopy) of the admit card is mandatory for every candidate.
- Candidates are required to carry the hall ticket with themselves to their respective examination centres, without which they shall not be able to enter.
- It is necessary to carry a valid ID proof along with the admit card.
ASRB NET Exam Centres
ASRB NET 2020 Exam Centres
While filling in the application form, the candidates also need to mention their preferences for the examination centres by highlighting at least two of the centres. This selection is permanent and cannot be changed after registration. The table below gives the list of the ASRB NET 2020 test centres-
||Jammu and Kashmir
||Andaman & Nicobar Islands
ASRB NET 2020 Exam Pattern
ASRB NET 2020 Exam Pattern
Before taking the exam, the candidates must be aware of the exam pattern which is mentioned below-
- Mode of Examination- The ASRB is conducting the NET 2020 exam via the online mode. Therefore, it will be a computer-based test.
- Duration of the Exam- The duration of the exam is 2 hours.
- Type of questions- The question type would be objective or multiple-choice questions (MCQs)
- Language of the Exam- The questions are asked in both Hindi and English; therefore, it is a bilingual examination.
- Number of questions- There are a total of 150 questions asked in the exam.
- Number of marks- The total marks of the examination tally up to 150.
- Standard of the test- The standard of the test is pertaining to the level of the master’s degree in their relevant field/discipline.
- Marks for the correct answer- Each question carries 1 mark and so for the correct answer, 1 mark would be awarded.
- Marks for the incorrect answer- There is a negative marking for every incorrect answer. 1/3 marks would be deducted for the same.
The Mains paper will be of 240 marks in their relevant areas which need to be attempted within a time constraint of 3 hours. The paper shall be divided into 3 parts A, B and C.
- Part A shall consist of 40 questions, 2 marks each.
- Part B shall consist of 20 questions,5 marks each (requiring one or two paragraphs or graphical representation)
- Part C shall consist of 6 essay type or descriptive questions, 10 marks each, having more than one part. 
ASRB NET Syllabus
Syllabus of the ASRB NET 2020 Exam (along with units/chapters)
There are 57 disciplines in total, given below are a few most chosen ones along with the units.
- Unit 1: Cell Structure and Function
- Unit 2: Biomolecules and Metabolism
- Unit 3: Enzymology
- Unit 4: Molecular Genetics
- Unit 5: Gene Expressions
- Unit 6: Molecular Biology Techniques
- Unit 7: Gene Cloning
- Unit 8: Molecular Biology
- Unit 9: Plant Molecular Biology
- Unit 10: Tissue Culture
- Unit 11: Plant Genetic Engineering
- Unit 12: Molecular Markers and Genomics
Genetics and Bio-Engineering:
- Unit 1: General Genetics and Plant Breeding
- Unit 2: Economics Botany and Plant Breeding Methods
- Unit 3: Genome Organization and Cytogenetics of Crop Plants
- Unit 4: Quantitative and Biometrical Genetics
- Unit 5: Genetic Engineering and Biotechnological Tools in Plant Breeding
- Unit 6: Plant Breeding of Stress Resistance and Nutritional Quality
- Unit 7: Plant Genetic Resources and Their Regulatory System; Varietal Release and Seed Production
- Unit 8: Statistical Methods and Field Plot Techniques
Floriculture and Landscaping:
- Unit 1: Breeding
- Unit 2: Production technology of cut flowers
- Unit 3: Production technology of loose flowers
- Unit 4: Landscaping
- Unit 5: Protected floriculture
- Unit 6: Value Addition
- Unit 7: Turfing and Turf Management
- Unit 8: Computer-aided designing for outdoor and indoorscaping
- Unit 1: Milk Constituents
- Unit 2: Levels, distribution, and isolation of genetic polymorphism
- Unit 3: Milk lipids
- Unit 4: Milk adulteration and detection methods
- Unit 5: Cream and size of the distribution
- Unit 6: Heat stability of milk as affected by various constituents and additives.
- Unit 7: Cheese: composition and varietal differences
- Unit 8: Definition of quality, quality control, and assurance
- Unit 9: Spectroscopy
- Unit 1: General Pharmacology
- Unit 2: Drug Action on Central Nervous System
- Unit 3: Drugs acting on Humoral and Autonomic Nervous System
- Unit 4: Drugs action on Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems
- Unit 5: Drugs acting on the Digestive System
- Unit 6: Drugs action on Uro-genital system
- Unit 7: Endocrine Pharmacology
- Unit 8: Autacoids
- Unit 9: Chemotherapy
- Unit 10: Toxicology
- Unit 11: Ecotoxicology
- Unit 12: Miscellaneous topics
- Unit 1: General Meteorology
- Unit 2: General Climatology
- Unit 3: Agricultural Climatology
- Unit 4: Micro Meteorology
- Unit 5: Evapotranspiration
- Unit 6: Crop Weather Modelling
- Unit 7: Weather Forecasting for Agriculture
Farm Machinery and Power:
- Unit 1: Farm Mechanization and Equipment
- Unit 2: Farm Machinery Design
- Unit 3: Farm Machinery Testing, Evaluation and Management
- Unit 4: Engines and Tractor Systems
- Unit 5: Ergonomics and Safety
- Unit 6: Soil Dynamics in Tillage and Traction
- Unit 7: Energy in Agriculture
- Unit 8: Manufacturing Technology
- Unit 9: Instrumentation and Measurement Techniques
- Unit 1: Gross Anatomy
- Unit 2: Digestive, Respiratory and Uro-genital System in fowl
- Unit 3: Microanatomy
- Unit 4: Developmental Anatomy
ASRB NET 2020 expected cut-off
||ASRB NET Qualifying Percentage
||ASRB NET Qualifying Marks
ASRB NET Selection Process
The selection takes place via the following steps-
- ASRB NET is a competitive examination and therefore is qualifying in nature.
- The paper shall be available in both English and Hindi. However, in the case of any discrepancies, the English medium paper will be given more anchorage.
- The candidates who successfully secure the cut-off marks shall be eligible to apply for the post assistant professor/ lecturer in various agricultural universities.
- This will be followed by the official counseling round, wherein the qualifying candidates shall be made to state their preferences pertaining to which university they would want to be a part of.
- The same shall be completely offline and the selected candidates need to be present at their respective centres.
- The candidate must carry all original documents during this round.
- It is also requested of them to carry a signed photocopy of each of the original documents.
ASRB NET 2020 Results
Once the ICAR NET Examination is done. The candidates must check their results for the same. One can visit the official website of the ASRB to view their results. (www.asrb.org.in)
The tentative date of the result declaration is December 2020.
Salary and perks
The salary of an assistant lecturer/professor at University of Agricultural Sciences ranges from INR 4.3 LPA to INR 4.5 LPA, the average annual salary being INR 4.4. LPA.
Perks include the following:
- Good work environment
- Flexible work timings
- Easy leave applicability
- Travel facilities (campus buses)
- Wide scope for the lecturers to carry out their own individual research and transfer such technology to farmers.
- Renewal of salary on a fixed date
ASRB NET Preparation Tips
- Gaining Knowledge- Firstly, the candidate is advised to go through the syllabus, and depending on their Master’s degree, they shall opt for a relevant discipline in the ICAR NET. Pertaining to their chosen discipline, they have to study adhering to the syllabus.
Books that the candidates referred to during their understanding of their post-graduate degree.
- Practicing- The ASRB NET has multiple-choice questions. Coming with a similar choice, it can easily confuse the candidates. Goof reference books with MCQs, past years’ papers of the ASRB NET along with sample papers and mock tests. Practicing a large number of questions every day.
- Improving- Keep checking on your mistakes, where and why you went wrong. Revising the topics over and over again. Since the examination has negative marking, maintaining accuracy is a key element to qualify.
- Extras- Every candidate is bound to find at least a few topics difficult. So keeping in mind the extras are important, maybe ask for extra help from tutors in coaching or self-help through video lectures and notes. One should be motivated to put in the effort and conquer their fears as it’s important to keep oneself motivated during the prep time. 
ASRB NET FAQs
Ques. Is the ICAR NET equivalent to the ASRB NET?
Ans. Yes, the ASRB conducts the ICAR NET. Also known as the ASRB NET.
Ques. What will be the mode for form filling?
Ans. The application form shall be filled via the online mode only.
Ques. Can I change the choice of the examination centre after filling the application form?
Ans. No change shall be allowed in the choice of examination centre after filling the application form.
Ques. How many choices of preferences can I submit for the examination centre?
Ans. The candidate can select a maximum of 2 exam centres in their order of preference.
Ques. How many times can I attempt the ICAR NET?
Ans. There are no restrictions placed on how many times one can attempt the ICAR NET.
Ques. Do I need any kind of documents while submitting the online application form?
Ans. No other documents are required to be attached along with the form prior to submission. Focus, hard work, and determination are the only ideals to succeeding in the ASRB NET 2020.