West Bengal Public Service Commission (WBPSC) releases an official notification every year. Interested candidates have to complete graduation from any recognized institute or university to apply for the examination. Qualified candidates are then appointed to various posts of administrative departments in West Bengal like deputy collector, DSP, or on other multiple positions in the revenue and other services. The notification for WBPSC 2021 will be released in November 2020 tentatively. Below are the necessary preparation methods that one candidate should or may follow. There are few books mentioned that will work for both WBPSC Prelims and Mains, and then there are few that will exclusively work for each exam.
Get FREE WBPSC 2021 Mock Tests, Sectional Quiz, Previous Years Papers. Click Here
WBPSC Important Dates
WBPSC 2020 Important Dates
|The online application form starts
||1st week of November 2020
|Online application form ends
||Last week of November 2020
|Online fees Submission ends
||Last week of November 2020
|Offline application fee submission last date
||Last week of November 2020
||3rd week of January 2021
||Will be updated.
Before we discuss preparation for WBPSC Exam, candidates should check below the vital information about WBPSC 2021:
- Always be updated when the WBPSC Notification 2021 releases.
- Candidates should always go through the Eligibility criteria for the WBPSC Exam.
- Always check the WBPSC Exam Syllabus as WBPSC Exam is a three-tier examination- Preliminary, Mains, and Interview.
- Learn how to download the WBPSC admit card to sit for the state administrative examination.
WBPSC Preparation Tips
WBPSC 2020-21 Preparation Tips
The West Bengal State Public Service Commission (WBPSC) examination is an eminent one and the standard of papers designed for it, are such that test analytical and conceptual clarity of the candidates.
Few tips that will help candidates to track their preparation are:
- Each topic that finds its place in the WBPSC syllabus is essential, and a candidate should never skip any of those.
- For State Service Exams, the candidates should read the state board textbooks as these give pertinent information on various topics mentioned in the syllabus.
- Each topic like History, Geography, Polity, etc. should be read, keeping in mind the state’s aspects.
- Source of practice is by past year question papers; candidates can find those on the official websites.
The WBPSC prelims exam has only one paper on ‘General Studies.’ Other than that it has eight topics:
- English Composition
- General Science
- Current Events of National and International Importance
- History of India
- Geography of India with special reference to Kolkata (West Bengal)
- Indian Polity and Economy
- Indian National Movement
- General Mental Ability
The WBPSC Mains Exam has given below six compulsory papers:
- General Studies-I
- General Studies-II
- The Constitution of India and Indian Economy including the role and functions of the Reserve Bank of India
- Arithmetic & Test of Reasoning
Best Books for Prelims Exam
Best Books for the Preliminary Exam 2020-21
- For English Composition
- Objective English for competitive examination by author Hari Mohan Prasad and Uma Rani Sinha:
- English grammar books by author P.K. De or by P.C. Das.
- Synonyms & antonyms for all competitive exam by author Roshan Tolani
- For General Science
- General Science for Civil Services preliminary examination from author Tara Chand, Shabnam Johry, Tanushri Saxena, and Renu Kathpalia
- To increase general science knowledge candidates may read any science magazine published by MTG publishers.
- Current Events
- General knowledge by Manohar Panday
- Current events, candidates can follow the newspaper every day, candidates can also buy the weekly magazine like Kharmokhetra, Jibika Dishari, KarmaSangsthan, etc.
- Indian History
- Bharater Itihas by Atul Chandra Roy
- History of India and Indian National Movement by J.K. Chopra
- Candidates can also choose some best history books by D.N Jha, Satish Chandra, Sumit Sarkar, etc.
- Candidates must follow the NCERT history textbooks from class 6th to 12th standard.
- Indian Geography
- Geography of India by Majid Husain
- Candidates can also follow the geography textbook by Kartick Chandra Mondal for the West Bengal part.
- Read the NCERT textbooks of standard 6th carefully to standard 12th. Maximum questions of the WBPSC exam will come from these books.
- Indian Economy and Polity
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- Indian Polity by M. Laxikanth
- Political Theory by O.P Gauba
- Indian National Fights
- The Wonder that was India from A.L Basham
- Mental Ability Test (MAT)
- Quantitative aptitude and reasoning by R.S Agarwal
- Mag Book general mental ability by Arihant Publishers
WBPSC 2021 Mains
The crucial topics given in the WBPSC syllabus are History, Geography, politics, economics, and current affairs. WBPSC Preparation books for the Main examination are:
- History- Bipin Chandra
- Polity- Laxmikant
- Geography- Lexicon or Majid Hussain or G.c. Leong
- Economy- School Textbooks or Ramesh Singh
- Current Affairs- The Hindu/ Monthly Compilation of any good magazine
Apart from the books mentioned above, a few other recommended reading sources for the candidates are:
- Budget and Economic Survey
- State Board books
- NCERT books
- To prepare for a compulsory paper number I and II where knowledge of the Bengali language is significant, candidates should practice report-writing and translations from school textbooks and Bengali newspapers.
- Candidates should also check some essential
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.