Best Reference books for UPSC IFoS Prelims and Mains
There are ample of reference books for IFoS exam as the syllabus is so vast. However, for best preparation, you should follow as few reference books as possible. Choose the books which cover the syllabus entirely and have a number of solved examples, practice papers and mocks tests. The following are all the top books which you can follow for prelims and mains exam. Do note, even though the list is big, you need to invest in only a few of those mentioned below that you find easy to follow.
Check IFoS Forestry Preparation tips here
UPSC IFoS 2021- Preparations and Highlights
The notification for UPSC IFoS 2021 has not been released yet. As per the latest update, the IFoS 2020 Mains exam schedule has been released and the exams will begin from February 28, 2021. The syllabus is comparatively less for IFoS than IAS and more specific which means, you can formulate a preparation strategy that is concise and topic-oriented. Here are some latest highlights on the exam:
- The IFoS Mains will be conducted from February 28- March 7, 2021.
- There will be two shifts in which all the papers will be conducted.
Hence, presently the focus regarding last-minute preparation should be around the Mains exam.
IFoS Best Books
Best books for UPSC IFoS Prelims
- NCERT Book - Class XI
- NCERT: Physical Geography of India for X - XII Std
- NCERT (+ 2 level) - Ancient India, Medieval India, Modern India
- NCERT Class XI and XII
- Biology Textbooks (12th grade)
- Science NCERT Textbooks (10th grade)
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
- Modern India by Bipin Chandra
- Modern India from Spectrum Publication by Rajiv Ahir
- Publication Division: Gazetteer of India (Vol 2: History & Culture)
- India- A Comprehensive Geography by Khullar
- School Atlas: Oxford or Orient Blackswan
- National Journal - Kurukshetra
- National Journal - Yojana
- National Journal - Down to earth
- Indian Economy by Sanjiv Verma
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
- The Hindu (Economy sections)
- Budget: Railway, Annual Financial Statement (AFS)
- The Economic Times, Business Standard, India Year Book
- Economic Survey
- IIPA Journal
- Social Welfare Magazine - Published by the Ministry of Social Welfare
- Social Problem by Ram Ahuja
- Our Constitution by Subhash C. Kashyap
- P.M. Bakshi by Indian Constitution
- Our Parliament by Publication Division - Subhash C. Kashyap
- Indian Constitution by D.D. Basu
- Indian Polity by M Laxmikanth
- Reports of the Ministry of Science and Technology
- CSIR Magazine by Science Reporter
- General Studies for All Competitive Examinations
Best Books for UPSC Mains
- UPSC-IFoS Main Examination Guide: A Complete Book for Paper I and Paper II
- UPSC: IFoS (Paper I & II) Main Exam Guide
- UPSC-IFoS Exam – Botany
- UPSC - IFoS Exam: Mathematics
- UPSC - IFoS Exam: Zoology
- UPSC-IFoS Exam Botany (Including Paper I & II) Main Exam Guide 2018 Edition (English, Paperback, RPH Editorial Board)
- UPSC-IFoS Exam Physics (Including Paper I & II) Main Exam Guide 2018 Edition (English, Paperback, RPH Editorial Board)
- UPSC: Civil Services Exam & Indian Forest Service Exam (Common Prel. Exam: Paper-I) 2017 Edition (English, Paperback, RPH Editorial Board)
- UPSC: Civil Services Exam & Indian Forest Service Exam (Common Prel. Exam: Paper-I) (English)
- UPSC-IFoS Exam Physics (Including Paper I & II) Main Exam Guide (English)
- UPSC: Civil Services Exam & Indian Forest Service Exam: Previous Years Papers (Solved) 2017 Edition (English, Paperback, RPH Editorial Board)
- UPSC Civil Services Exam & Indian Forest Service Exam (Comm. Prel. Exam) Paper-II
- UPSC-IFoS Exam Chemistry (Including Paper I & II) Main Exam Guide (English)
- UPSC-IFoS Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science Main Exam Guide (English)
- UPSC-IFoS Exam Agriculture (Including Paper I & II) Main Exam Guide (English)
Check UPSC IFoS Geology Preparation tips here
Ques. If I am studying from the NCERT books, do I need to get additional reference books and study materials?
Ans. NCERT books have the gist of the syllabus for IFoS exam and cover all the topics at a very basic level. But for in-depth studying, additional reference books will be needed.
Ques. Should I invest in reference books or does note-making from any online source will suffice?
Ans. A few good reference books along with online and offline study materials is the best way to have an overall and thorough preparation for the exam.
Ques. Is the syllabus for IFoS prelims and IAS Prelims the same?
Ans. The prelims for IFoS and IAS is common and hence the syllabus is the same. This means you can use the same reference material to prepare for both at the preliminary level.
Ques. This is my second attempt at the exam- do I need to get news reference books for this year?
Ans. The reference books are updated every year based on the exam trends of the last year hence there is always something new to be found. But it is not mandatory to get the latest published version of the reference books if you know what to study and have a proper preparation strategy.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.