SSC (Service Selection Commission) is the board that conducts the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) examination every year in order to employee candidates in various group B and group C posts of various departments in the central government. SSC CGL syllabus is different for all the tiers. Tier 1 & 2 are computer-based papers with objective type questions. The major section of these two tiers is a quantitative aptitude, reasoning ability, English comprehension, statics, and general studies. Check SSC CGL Latest News and Updates
Quantitative Aptitude or Mathematics is known as one of the most important section in the SSC CGL examination as it acts as the decider of the presence of your name in the final merit list. Thus, there is a need to find a way to master the art of solving as many questions as possible in this section with a limited amount of exam duration in both Tier-I and II in order to get the post of your choosy. Read Tips to Solve Quantitative Aptitude
In SSC CGL Exam Quant sections play an important role, such that if you have just the basic knowledge of mathematics, then this section could very well be the easiest to solve as well as to score. This article will tell you about how to prepare Quant for SSC CGL Tier I 2020 with smart tips for training in order to help an aspirant score better in quants segment.
Solve Mock Tests (2) for free before appearing for SSC CGL 2020 Exam
How to Prepare Quantitative Aptitude for SSC CGL 2021
Quantitative aptitude section in SSC CGL exam carries has 25 Questions which total marks distribution of around 50 marks where each question carries 2 marks.
One of the biggest mistake done by large number aspirants is that they do not go through the detailed syllabus of the Quant section of SSC CGLE, before starting the preparation of Quantitative Aptitude.
Subject-wise Important Topics:
- Easy Chapters – One must start preparation for Quantitative Aptitude with the easiest topics, as this confirms more marks than what you can score off the difficult questions. These questions are less time consuming, scoring & easy to solve. Another advantage of starting with easy level topics is that you can calculate at a faster speed which will save your crucial time in the exam.
- Simplification - Simplification techniques are based on BODMAS Rule, Fractions, Surds and Indices, etc.
- Interest - Firstly go through the theory of interest. One must solve the Simple Interest Problems on the different rate of interest. Also, study the quickest ways to solve the Compound Interest problems to increase your speed.
- Percentage – You can practice the calculation of the percentage of a given number mentally i.e. without the use of pen & paper. It will help in increasing calculation speed and thus will be a booster for the exam.
- Average: Quant section of SSC CGLE questions on the basics of averages.
- Ratio and Proportion: To calculate faster in the ratio and proportion section we one can look at the questions included in the previous year examination papers.
- Problems on Ages: For questions of problems on ages we can solve the basic problems of age & then move to more complex one.
- Moderate Chapters - These topics are more time taking and with little complexity but they can be solved with more accuracy if proper steps are followed.
- Speed Time And Distance – For this topic of Quant, one can practice questions based on Average/Relative speeds, Boats, Trains.
- Profit and Loss – For-profit and loss, one must learn the basic concepts and then focus on solving problem-based on Dishonest/Successive dealings, Partnerships etc.
- Number Series – To solve questions based on number series, one must understand the pattern of number series.
- Number System: Problem-solving based on Irrational or Rational Numbers, LCM & HCF.
- Mensuration: For Mensuration, one must learn the basic formulas of mensuration & then use different tricks to solve the problems related to Square, Rectangle, Circles, Cone, and Cylinder etc.
- Data Interpretation: Practice solving problems on bar graphs, pie charts, and tables etc.
- Difficult Chapters - These topics take a lot of time and need proper utilization of mind and speed to get solved with more than little complexity, also remember that practice is the key here as difficult topics are not easy to solve in a limited quantity of time that is in hand while solving the question paper.
- Time and Work – For problems based on Time and Work, learn shortcut tricks for Time & Work, Pipes and Cistern, Work & Efficiency and remember practice is the key to solve the complex questions that are asked from these topics..
- Mixture problems – Mixture problems are tricky and one must solve problems based on two or more entities/mixtures.
- Algebra - Solving algebra problems by making Linear Equations in one or two variables. To fasten the speed of solving the problem, one must remember all the identities.
- Geometry: Topics such as Triangles congruency, Similarity theorems, Circle chords & tangent theorems, Co-ordinate geometry etc. are of utmost importance and one must remember all the theorems as the questions are going to be of high complexity.
- Trigonometry: Learn all Trigonometric Identities & solve the problems based on Trigonometric ratios, Height and Distance etc.
Read Tips to Solve Quantitative Aptitude
||Number of Questions Distribution
|Ratio and Proportion
|Problems on Ages
||Speed, Time and Distance
|Profit and Loss
||Time and Work
Check out Best Books for SSC CGL Quantitative Aptitude
General Tips to Prepare Quant for SSC CGL 2021
One should start from R.S Agarwal book of Quantitative Aptitude If the person is preparing quant for the first time & wants to build up concepts. On studying through the book, one must practice all chapters & all the questions. After solving this book for one week one can easily start grasping the concepts.
Now, once concepts are completely built up, the person must start practising short quizzes, daily full-length mock test. After practising through various sources one must also analyze and note down the mistakes made so that they are not repeated again.
Today, in a Tech-savvy world, there is much mobile application which allows you to practice on the go, thus one can practice on the app daily when you’re travelling or bored.
At last, practice as much as you can as practising is the key to success in quantitative aptitude.
Check best books to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude