The IES exam, previously known as the ESE exam, is one of the toughest government exams to crack. It is organized by UPSC. Aspiring Engineering Graduates can get recruited for various posts in Indian Engineering Services. The exam is conducted through 3 Stages - Preliminary, Main, and Interview round. There are many subjects in the IES exam. One of the important subjects is Power Electronics. It is an important subject for Electronics Engineers and preparations must be done thoroughly. This requires a proper preparation strategy for IES. A perfect strategy for preparation is the one where one can prepare enough in a little amount of time. If you are a person who is looking for a Preparation Strategy for Power Electronics then this is the article for you.
Why Power Electronics?
- A Power Electronics Engineer deals with the generation, transmission, distribution, and utilization of electric power. It deals with Electrical applications with high powers.
- Solar energy, wind energy, and all other renewable sources of energy come under the study of Power electronics.
- Power electronics are also rapidly getting momentum in the automotive space too. Getting a government job as Power electrical Engineers does not only pay handsomely but it is also a highly respected job.
- Thorough Knowledge of Power Electronics Fundamentals
- Modeling of Power Electronics Circuits and systems
- Matlab/Simulink expertise for simulating power electronics systems in applicationsControl of PCB design
- Knowledge of hardware designs related to Power electronics designs and circuits.
Applications of Power Electronics
Power electronics has a lot of Applications ranging from switch mode power supply in Ac adapter, audio adapters, variable frequency drive, and DC motor to interconnected electrical grids. Power electronics has application in almost every electronic.Some of the Applications are:-
- AC And DC Converters: These converters are used in mobile devices to maintain the voltage at a fixed value in this Dc/Dc converters.
- Other than that AC /DC converters devices like computers and televisions. One needs to have complete knowledge of rectifiers and converters.
- Motor drives which are found in pumps and blowers are also one application for Power electronics. Drives may be used for power conversion and motor control.
- Other applications include smart grids, hydronic electric vehicles, inverters like electrical inverters, and solar inverters.
Syllabus For IES/ ESE exams
Along with Power electronics, the IES / ESE exams require you to study other Electronic Engineering subjects. The Syllabus for Power electronics as of 2020 is listed below which you can use as a reference until the 2021 syllabus out.
Engineering Mathematics, Electrical Materials, Electric Circuits and Fields, Electrical and Electronics Measurements, Computer Fundamentals, Basics Electronics Engineering.
Analog and Digital Electronics, Systems and Signal Processing, Control Systems, Electrical Machines, Power Systems, Power Electronics, and Drives.
Syllabus For Power Electronics
Semiconductor Power Diodes, Transistors and Thyristors, triacs, GTOs, MOSFETs, and IGBTs - static characteristics, and principles of operation, triggering circuits, phase control rectifiers, bridge converters- fully controlled and half controlled, principles of choppers and inverters, basic concepts of adjustable speed DC and AC drives, DC-DC switched-mode converters, high-frequency inductors, and transformers, Power Supplies, resonant converters.
IES Exam Pattern
This is a general idea of the exam paper pattern for the IES/ ESE exam until the 2021 pattern is out. So you can start preparing for the exams.The IES/ ESE is divided into 3 stages
Stage I - Preliminary Examination
- There are two papers. Paper 1 is common for all engineering students and paper 2 is from where the candidates opt from Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical and Electronics and telecommunications.
- The two papers are of a total of 500 marks. You need to clear the cutoff marks of both papers separately to qualify for the next stage
Stage II- Mains Examination
- Only candidates who qualified in the preliminary round are allowed to appear for the Mains exam.
- It has two papers with 300 marks each.
Stage III- Interview Round
- Final Stage of the IES/ ESE exam. It is also known as the Personality Test.
- Only candidates qualifying in the written round sit for the Interview round. It is for a total of 200 marks.
- There will be no negative marking in the exams and all the papers are in the English language.
- The Merit List will be based on the marks of Preliminary round, Mains and Interview round.
Tips To Prepare for Power Electronics for IES 2021
- Plan the syllabus
- Now that you have an idea about what your syllabus is all about you should plan your syllabus accordingly. Plan your syllabus for Power electronics in such a way that you get the best results with a limited amount of time and there is plenty of room left for revision and practice. Make a weak time table with other subjects and have a day left for revision and test for Power electronics and other subjects.
- Set Your Goal
- Goal-setting is yet another important and effective strategy for the preparation of Power electronics for the IES/ESE exam. Setting a goal can be divided into long term and short term.A long term goal can be the marks you want to score in the exam. Always aim higher than the cutoff marks to ensure passing with flying colors. Short term goals can be daily or weekly basis. Goal-setting helps you stay focused on preparations of the IES/ESE exam.
- Make Notes
- Both classroom notes, as well as self-notes, must be made properly. Notes making should be in such a way that it is easy to access and understand but also full of knowledge and information. These notes can also be your revision aid and help you learn easily and effectively. A properly made note saves the time of going through several reference books. Instead, all the information you need is now available at a place that is your book.
- Clarify Doubts
- During lessons and lectures if you have doubts, do not be afraid to get them clarified. Being upfront with your doubts helps you solve a problem and clear misconceptions. Do ask for doubts clarification and questions whenever you have one.
- Revise Constantly
- Revision is an important step in your preparation strategy. Revision helps you remember your lessons thoroughly. Practice your sums daily as it gives you an idea and gets your brain working effectively for the exam. The revision right now should be topic wise. This will help you know your weak and strong points inside the topic and help you practice and prepare.
- Test Yourself
- Giving tests regularly helps one practice and know about their weakness and strengths. There are several test series available online on various websites that you can buy and appear for. You will get a rough idea of the type of questions you are going to face during the real exams and practice accordingly. Solving Practice papers is another way of testing yourself. They help you know which topic was asked most and which wasn't.
- Believe in Yourself
- Last but not least, believe in yourself. Be confident in the efforts you are putting daily. Be confident that you have prepared, learned, solved, and revised thoroughly. There may be times when you feel like giving up, there will be times when some topics will seem like an impossible task to achieve but you must not be put down and keep going. Believing in oneself keeps the panic at bay and helps achieve our goals efficiently.
One must learn and practice all the lessons of Power electronics as it is one of the important subjects for electrical engineers. Do not skip any topic. With proper learning, understanding, and Revision one can crack the IES/ ESE exams. A student must learn to solve problems in a limited amount of time. With this article, you have the insight to prepare with subjects like Power Electronics and help with your preparations for the IES / ESE exam. Wish you the very best!