IES/ESE exam is one of the most important and go-to exams for engineers in India. The best way to prepare for this examination is by getting a test series. ESE/IES online test series helps in the revision of the basic concepts along with getting to know your stand in the competition across all the aspirants. It is a value addition for the students to have an idea of the strategy they are following and if that needs to be changed. The test series gives you an idea of the real examination and the preparation is never complete without a test series.
Enrolling for ESE/IES Online test series
One of the first steps is to choose a good ESE/IES online test series. This is one of the important decisions which will eventually affect your preparation in the journey ahead. The aspirants should be clear on the goal of choosing an online test series and thus choose the best one that aligns with their goals. There are several parameters that you should consider while choosing a particular test series.
- Firstly, it should be a well-reputed test series as tried and tested by many aspirants before you. This will give you a good idea of your preparation when you compete with these aspirants.
- Also, it is vital to choose a test series that has credible resources. You should be watching out on the number of users and the quality of the content offered by the test series.
In this article, we will go through some key issues that aspirants face and the ways to recover from these and hence making the most of the ESE/IES online test series.
Best time to start solving ESE test series
- If you are thinking of registering for an online test series, the correct time will be to get it approximately two-three months after you start your preparation for the exam.
- Taking test series just before your ESE/IES examinations will not be so fruitful. The aim of the test series is to give you revision for the topics and evaluate your preparation.
- This could be done through taking section/topic-wise tests initially so that you are aware of your strengths and weaknesses and eventually work upon them. Later after completing the course, you can jump into full-length courses.
Tips to Solve a test Series better
- The test should be given after you complete the topic and are prepared for the test. Giving the test after complete preparation will give you the correct analysis of your knowledge.
- You must have a good and clear understanding of the subject, the formulae and its concepts. All the topics should be covered before attempting the test. This helps in good performance and eventually boosts your morale.
- Aspirants should make a habit of using either the virtual calculator or solving without a calculator. Using the normal or scientific calculator while attempting online series will not develop the habit of using a virtual calculator which might create trouble during the actual examination
- All the tests should be analysed thoroughly after attempting. This will give you a brief of the areas you lag and need to improve. You can look at the solutions given in the test series and learn from them. Test series have a detailed solution to problems and also may have video solutions for better understanding.
Increasing Accuracy and Avoiding Silly Mistakes
- Aspirants should read a question twice before attempting if they are continuously making silly mistakes. Since space is limited to write your answers, the answer should be well planned in the mind.
- Sometimes the negation of the answer is asked in the question. Make sure you read the last line of the question very carefully. Also, keep an eye on the units which are given in the question and the ones asked in answer.
- Online test series help you to understand the question wise analysis which can be helpful for understanding where you are lagging in terms of accuracy. You can analyze the time you took for attempting the answer and compare it with others also.
Smartly Attempting the Test
- This generally depends on the previous cut-offs and the target rank. It is hence advised that the attempt should be decided beforehand.
- Apart from sticking to pre-decided attempts, you can go for smart guesses. However, make sure you don’t invite negative marking.
- Blind guessing should be completely avoided. Negative marks can pull your rank down drastically.
Specific Strategy for question solving
- There is no set strategy that works for every person for attempting the question paper. Online test series will help you to apply multiple strategies to see what actually works for you. You can experiment in the test series to find out the right strategy for you.
- However, as a general approach, you can start with the questions that carry more weightage so as to increase your marks. In ESE prelims, all questions carry the same weightage, so it is irrelevant to start from a particular question.
- Students should be so ahead with the questions that they are most comfortable with. This will increase the speed in the starting and also boost morale.
- The main objective should be not to stick at any particular question. If some question is not your strength, you can come to that question later. The same goes for the questions that are lengthy and involve a lot of calculations.
Strategy to smartly fill up OMR Sheet
- It is advisable not to fill the OMR sheet in the end. Filling in haste during the end can result in blunder in marking bubbles.
- Also, filling the OMR after each question may consume a lot of time. It also breaks the concentration and continuity in solving the questions for some students.
- The optimum and right method could be to fill the OMR sheet after you finish each page of the question paper. This will solve both the problems and will save you time.
- After completing the test, a complete analysis should be done. Take a note on the questions you could not attempt in the test. Check the reasons for not attempting and work on the errors.
- For the questions you could not attempt even after successive tests, you can go back to basics and refer to notes. Try practicing more of these questions.
- If there is some new concept in the question, you can make a note of it and practice some questions based on the new concept. Also, there could be some questions that you could not attempt even after you knew the concept. This requires more revision and solving.
Test Series Frequency
- The right method will be to give one full syllabus test every week until you finish all the subject wise tests. The frequency of the tests can be increased after that to 3-4 tests in a week.
- It is advisable not to give full-length tests in a single day. Take some time in analysing the test and revising the topics.
- Also, try to give the test in the time slot as that of your actual exam.
Computer-based tests are recommended for all the aspirants since they give the real feel of the examination. Students can be in the exact environment they will be during the actual test. This brings down a lot of anxiety and nervousness which students can control during these IES/ESE online test series. Competing with your peers on the platforms also helps you understand where you stand and makes you confident.
Apart from this, online test series will give you the correct feedback on your preparation and the areas where you should improve. The analytics used in the online test series will give you insight into the way you are attempting your paper and how you can more optimise it.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.