The Manipuri language is one of the optional subjects offered for the 2 optional papers in the IAS (UPSC CSE) Main Exam. With well-planned strategies, you can easily score well in the Manipuri literature. Interest should be the prime criteria for choosing any optional. Each Manipuri paper consists of 250 marks. Duration for each Manipuri mains paper is 3 hours.
As per the latest news for 2021, the notification for IAS (UPSC CSE) will be released anytime soon, but the exam dates for prelims remain unchanged and on June 27, 2021.
Who should opt for Manipuri in IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains?
Candidates who have studied the Manipuri literature can opt for it as an optional subject in the IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Exam. Some of the factors that one must account for before choosing Manipuri as an optional subject are:
Advantages of choosing Manipuri
- Lesser competition as less number of aspirants chooses literature (Manipuri included) as an optional.
- Stress reliever as an interest in the subject can work as a therapy.
- Quality of answers as there is no limitation to different kinds of answers.
- Updation in the syllabus is rare
- Essay writing and interviews won’t pose much of a problem as the amount of reading will help with these.
Disadvantages of choosing Manipuri
- Subjective Nature of the answers can lead to less scoring at times if your views do not match with the evaluator.
- Lack of resources
- No syllabus overlap with GS papers
IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Manipuri Paper 1 syllabus
Answers must be written in Manipuri
a) General characteristics of Manipuri Language and history of its development; its importance and status among the Tibeto-Burman Languages of North-East India; recent development in the study of Manipuri language; evolution and study of old Manipuri script.
b) Significant features of Manipuri language :
- Phonology-Phoneme-vowels, consonants juncture, tone, consonant cluster and its occurrence, syllable-its structure, pattern and types.
- Morphology: Word-class, root and its types; affix and its types; grammatical categories-gender, number, person, case, tense and aspects, process of compounding (samas and sandhi).
- Syntax: Word order: types of sentences, phrase and clause structures.
a) Literary History of Manipuri :
- Early period (upto 17th century)-Social and cultural background; Themes, diction and style of the works.
- Medieval period (18th and 19th century)- Social, religious and political background; Themes, diction and style of the works.
- Modern period-Growth of major literary forms; change of Themes, diction and style.
b) Manipuri Folk Literature :
- Legend, Folktale, Folksong, Ballad, Proverb and Riddle.
c) Aspects of Manipuri Culture :
- Pre-Hindu Manipuri Faith; Advent of Hinduism and the process of syncreticism.
- Performing arts-Lai Haraoba, Maha Ras; Indegenous games-Sagol Kangjei, Khong Kangjei, Kang.
Read About IAS Exam
IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Manipuri Paper 2 Syllabus
Answers must be written in Manipuri
This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidate's critical ability to assess them.
Section A - Old and Medieval Manipuri Literature
a) Old Manipuri Literature
- O. Bhogeswar Singh (Ed.): Numit Kappa
- M. Gourachandra Singh (Ed.): Thawanthaba Hiran
- N. Khelchandra Singh (Ed.): Naothingkhong Phambal Kaba
- M. Chandra Singh (Ed.): Panthoibi Khonggul
b) Medieval Manipuri Literature :
- M. Chandra Singh (Ed.): Samsok Ngamba
- R.K.Snahal Singh (Ed.): Ramayana Adi Kanda
- N. Khelchandra SIngh (Ed.): Dhananjoy Laibu Ningba
- O. Bhogeswar Singh (Ed.): Chandrakirti Jila Changba
Section B - Modern Manipuri Literature
a) Poetry and Epic
a) Manipuri Sheireng (Pub) Manipuri Sahitya Parishad, 1988 (ed.)
- Kh. Chaoba Singh : Pi Thadoi, Lamgi Chekla Amada, Loktak
- Dr. L. Kamal Singh : Nirjanata, Nirab Rajani
- A. Minaketan Singh : Kamalda, Nonggumlakkhoda
- L. Samarendra Singh : Ingagi Nong, Mamang Leikai Thambal Satle
- E. Nilakanta Singh : Manipur, Lamangnaba
- Shri Biren : Tangkhul Hui
- Th. Ibopishak : Anouba Thunglaba Jiba
b) Kanchi Sheireng. (Pub) Manipur University 1998 (ed.)
- Dr. L. Kamal Singh : Biswa-Prem
- Shri Biren : Chaphadraba Laigi Yen
- Th. Ibopishak : Norok Patal Prithivi
- A. Dorendrajit Singh : Kansa Bodha
- H. Anganghal Singh : Khamba-Thoibi Sheireng (San-Senba, Lei Langba, Shamu Khonggi Bichar)
- S. Lalit Singh : Areppa Marup
- G.C. Tongbra : Matric Pass
- A. Samarendra : Judge Sahebki Imung
b) Novel, Short-story and Prose
- Dr. L. Kamal Singh : Madhabi
- H. Anganghal Singh : Jahera
- H. Guno Singh : Laman
- Pacha Meetei : Imphal Amasung, Magi Ishing, Nungsitki Phibam
a) Kanchi Warimacha (Pub) Manipur University 1997 (ed.)
- R.K. Shitaljit Singh : Kamala Kamala
- M.K. Binodini : Eigi Thahoudraba Heitup Lalu
- Kh. Prakash : Wanom Shareng
b) Parishadki Khangatlaba Warimacha (Pub) Manipuri Sahitya Parishad 1994 (ed.)
- S. Nilbir Shastri : Loukhatpa
- R.K. Elangba : Karinunggi
c) Anouba Manipuri Warimacha (Pub) The Cultural Forum Manipur 1992 (ed.)
- N. Kunjamohon Singh : Ijat Tanba
- E. Dinamani : Nongthak Khongnang
a) Warenggi Saklon [Due Part (Pub) The Cultural Forum Manipur 1992 (ed.)
- Kh. Chaoba Singh : Khamba-Thoibigi Wari Amasung Mahakavya
b) Kanchi Wareng (Pub) Manipur University 1998 (ed.
- B. Manisana Shastri : Phajaba
- Ch. Manihar Singh : Lai-Haraoba
c) Apunba Wareng. (Pub) Manipur University, 1986 (ed.)
- Ch. Pishak Singh: Samaj Amasung, Sanskriti
- M.K. Binodini: Thoibidu Warouhouida
- Eric Newton: Kalagi Mahousa (translated by I.R. Babu)
d) Manipuri Wareng (Pub) The Cultural Forum Manipur 1999 (ed.)
- S. Krishnamohan Singh : Lan
Remember not to commit grammatical mistakes. Improve writing skills for IAS Manipuri literature exam. Handwriting should be legible for IAS Exam. A good command over the language is always helpful. Analytical and unconventional questions are appearing in previous papers so while preparing student should keep IAS Mains Manipuri Syllabus and previous papers for reference.
Read About IAS Syllabus
Previous year papers
Candidates can have a look at the previous year papers to have a clearer idea about the examination and its exam pattern