The Dogri language is one of the optional subjects offered for the 2 optional papers in the IAS (UPSC CSE) Main Exam. With well-planned strategies, you can easily score well in the Dogri literature. Interest should be the prime criteria for choosing any optional. Each Dogri paper consists of 250 marks. Duration for each Dogri mains paper is 3 hours.
As per the latest news for 2021, the notification for IAS (UPSC CSE) will be released anytime soon, but the exam dates for prelims remain unchanged and on June 27, 2021.
Who should opt for Dogri in IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains?
Candidates who have studied the Dogri literature can opt for it as an optional subject in the IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Exam. Some of the factors that one must account for before choosing Dogri as an optional subject are:
Advantages of choosing Dogri
- Lesser competition as less number of aspirants chooses literature (Dogri included) as an optional.
- Stress reliever as an interest in the subject can work as a therapy.
- Quality of answers as there is no limitation to different kinds of answers.
- Updation in the syllabus is rare
- Essay writing and interviews won’t pose much of a problem as the amount of reading will help with these.
Disadvantages of choosing Dogri
- Subjective Nature of the answers can lead to less scoring at times if your views do not match with the evaluator.
- Lack of resources
- No syllabus overlap with GS papers
IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Dogri Paper 1 Syllabus
History of Dogri Language
- Dogri language: Origin and development through different stages.
- Linguistic boundaries of Dogri and its dialects.
- Characteristic features of Dogri language.
- Structure of Dogri Language:
|Segmental Sound Structure
||Vowels and Consonants
|Non-Segmental Sound Structure
||Length, Stress, Nasalization, Tone and Juncture.
- Morphology of Dogri-
- Inflection Categories: Gender, Number, Case, Person, Tense and Voice.
- Word Formation: use of prefixes, infixes and suffixes.
- Vocabulary: Tatsam, tadbhav, foreign and regional.
- Sentence Structure: Major Sentence - types and their constituents, agreement and concord in Dogri syntax.
- Dogri Language and Scripts: Dogre/ Dogra Akkhar, Devanagari and Persian.
History of Dogri Literature
- 1. A brief account of Pre-independence Dogri Literature: Poetry & Prose.
- 2. Development of modern Dogri Poetry and main trends in Dogri Poetry.
- 3. Development of Dogr i short -story, main trends & prominent short-story writers.
- 4. Development of Dogri Novel, main trends & contribution of Dogri Novelists.
- 5. Development of Dogri Drama & contribution of prominent Playwrights.
- 6. Development of Dogri Prose: Essays, Memoirs & Travelogues.
- 7. An introduction to Dogri Folk literature - Folk songs, Folk tales & Ballads.
IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Dogri Paper 2 Syllabus
- Azadi Paihle Di Dogri Kavita. The following poets: Devi Ditta, Lakkhu, Ganga Ram, Ramdhan, Hardutt, Pahari Gandhi Baba Kanshi Ram & Permanand Almast.
- Modern Dogri PoetryAzadi Bad Di Dogri Kavita
- The following poets: Kishan Smailpuri, Tara Smailpuri, Mohan Lal Sapolia, Yash Sharma, K.S. Madhukar, Padma Sachdev, Jitendra Udhampuri, Charan Singh and Prakash Premi.
- Sheeraza Dogri Number 102, GhazalAnk.
- The following poets: Ram Lal Sharma, Ved Pal Deep, N.D. Jamwal, Shiv Ram Deep, Ashwini Magotra and Virendra Kesar.
- Sheeraza Dogri Number 147, GhazalAnk.
- The following poets: R.N. Shastri, Jitendra Udhampuri, Champa Sharma and Darshan Darshi.
- Ramayan (Epic) by Shambhu Nath Sharma (upto Ayodhya Kand).
- Veer Gulab (Khand Kavya) by Dinoo Bhai Pant.
- Ajakani Dogri Kahani The following short story writers: Madan Mohan Sharma, Narendra Khajuria and B.P. Sathe.
- Ajakani Dogri Kahani Part-II The following Short Story writers : Ved Rahi, Narsingh Dev Jamwal, Om Goswami, Chhattrapal, Lalit Magotra, Chaman Arora and Ratan Kesar.
- Khatha Kunj Bhag II The following Story writers : Om Vidyarthi, Champa Sharma and Krishan Sharma.
- Meel Patthar (collection of short stories) by Bandhu Sharma.
- Kaiddi (Novel) by Desh Bandhu Dogra Nutan
- Nanga Rukkh (Novel) by O.P. Sharma Sarathi.
- Nayaan (Drama) by Mohan Singh.
- Satrang (A collection of one-act plays)
- The following pay wrights: VishwaNathKhajuria, Ram NathShastri, Jitendra Sharma, Lalit Magotra and Madan Mohan Sharma.
- Dogri Lalit Nibandh
- The following authors :
- Vishwa Nath Khajuria, Narayan Mishra, Balkrishan Shastri, Shiv Nath, Shyam Lal Sharma, Lakshmi Narayan, D.C. Prashant, Ved Ghai, Kunwar Viyogi.
Analytical and unconventional questions are appearing in previous papers so while preparing students should keep IAS Mains Syllabus and previous papers for reference.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.