The Arabic language is one of the optional subjects offered for the 2 optional papers in the IAS (UPSC CSE) Main Exam. The Arabic language paper is one of the best choices for candidates who have graduated with this or this is their mother tongue. Interest should be the prime criteria for choosing any optional. Each Arabic paper consists of 250 marks. Duration for each Arabic mains paper is 3 hours.
As per the latest news for 2021, the notification for IAS (UPSC CSE) will be released anytime soon, but the exam dates for prelims remain unchanged and on June 27, 2021.
Candidates who have studied the Arabic literature can opt for it as an optional subject in the IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Exam. Some of the factors that one must account for before choosing Arabic as an optional subject are:
Literary History and Literary Criticism : Socio-Cultural Background, Classical literature, literary movements, modern trends, origin and development of modern prose : drama, novel, short story, essay.
This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and will be designed to test the candidate's critical ability. Answers must be written in Arabic.
1. Imraul Qais : Qifa Nabke Min Zikra Habibin Wa Manzili (complete)
Al Muallaqatus Saba
2. Hassan bin Thabit : Lillahi Darru Isabatin Nadamtuhum (complete)
Diwan Hassan Bin Thabit
3. Jarir : Hayyu Umamata Wazkuru Ahdan Mada
Jalbas Sifahi Wa Damiatin Bikila
Nukhbatul Adab : Deptt. of Arabic, A.M.U. Aligarh
4. Farzdaq : Hazal Lazi Tariful Batha-o-Watatuhu (complete)
Majmuatun Minan Nazm-i-Wan Nasr, Jamia Salafiah, Varanasi
5. Al Mutanabbi : Ya Ukhta Khair-e-Akhin Ya Binta Khair-e-Abin
Aqamahul Fikru Bainal Ijz-e-Wattaabi
Nukhbatul Adab, Deptt. of Arabic, A.M.U. Alig.
6. Abul Ala Al-Maarri : Ala Fi Sabil Majdi Ma Ana Faailu
Wa Ya Nafsu Jiddi Inna Dahraki Hazilu
Majmuatul Minan Nazm-i-Wan Nasr, Jamia Salafia, Varanasi
7. Shauqi : Wulidal Huda Falkainatu Diau
Makhtara Illa Dinakal Fuqarau
Salamun Neeli Ya Ghandi (complete)
8. Hafiz Ibrahim :-Rajatu Linafsi Fattahamtu Hasati (complete)
9. Ilya Abu Madi : Damatun Kharsao (complete)
Mukhtarat Minal Sher Al Arabi Al Hadith, M.M. Badwi
Authors Books Lessons
1. Ibnul Muqaffa Kalilah Wa Dimnah Al Asad Wal Thaur
2. Al-Jahiz Mukhtarat Min Adabil Arab Bakhilun Hakim (complete)
Part II By : S.A. Hasan Ali Nadwi
3. Ibn Khaldun Muqaddamah Araun Fit Talim (complete)
4. Mahmud Taimur Qalar Rawi Am Mutawalli (complete)
5. Taufiqual Hakim Masrahiyat Sirrul Muntahira (complete)
6. Abbas Mahmud Aqqad Mukhtarat Min Adabil Arab-II Assiddiq (complete)
(b) Study Of Indian Authors :
1. Ghulam Ali Azad Bilgrami
2. Shah Walullah Dehlavi
3. Zulfiqar Ali Deobandl
4. Abdul Aziz Meman
5. Syed Abul Hasan Ali Hasani Nadwi
Analytical and unconventional questions are appearing in previous papers so while preparing students should keep IAS Mains Arabic Syllabus and previous papers for reference.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.