The Malayalam language is one of the optional subjects offered for the 2 optional papers in the IAS (UPSC CSE) Main Exam. With well-planned strategies, you can easily score well in the Malayalam literature. Interest should be the prime criteria for choosing any optional. Each Malayalam paper consists of 250 marks. Duration for each Malayalam mains paper is 3 hours.
As per the latest news for 2021, the notification for IAS (UPSC CSE) will be released anytime soon, but the exam dates for prelims remain unchanged and on June 27, 2021.
Who should opt for Malayalam in IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains?
Malayalam is a language spoken in India, predominantly in the state of Kerala. Candidates who have studied the Malayalam literature can opt for it as an optional subject in the IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Exam. Some of the factors that one must account before choosing Malayalam as an optional subject are:
Advantages of choosing Malayalam
- Lesser competition as less number of aspirants chooses literature (Malayalam included) as an optional.
- Stress reliever as an interest in the subject can work as a therapy.
- Quality of answers as there is no limitation to different kinds of answers.
- Updation in the syllabus is rare
- Essay writing and interviews won’t pose much of a problem as the amount of reading will help with these.
Disadvantages of choosing Malayalam
- Subjective Nature of the answers can lead to less scoring at times if your views do not match with the evaluator.
- Lack of resources
- No syllabus overlap with GS papers
IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Malayalam Paper 1 Syllabus
- Unit 1- Early phase of Malayalam Language
- Various theories: origin from proto Dravidian, Tamil, Sanskrit.
- Relation between Tamil and Malayalam: Six nayas of A.R. Rajaraja Varma.
- Pattu school-definition, Ramacharitam, later pattu works-Niranam works and Krishnagatha.
- Unit 2- Linguistic features of
- Manipravalam-definition. Language of early manipravala works- Champu, Sandesakavya, Chandrotsava, minor works. Later Manipravala works-medieval Champu and Aattakkatha.
- Folklore-Southern and Northern ballads, Mappila songs.
- Early Malayalam prose- Bhashakautaliyam, Brahmanda Puranam, Atta Prakaram, Krama Dipika and Nambiantamil.
- Unit 3- Standardisation of Malayalam
- Peculiarities of the language of Pana, Kilippattu and Tullal.
- Contributions of indigenous and European missionaries to Malayalam.
- Characteristics of contemporary Malayalam: Malayalam as administrative language. Language of scientific and technical literature-media language.
Section B - Literary History
- Unit-4 Ancient and Medieval Literature
- Pattu-Ramacharitam, Niranam works and Krishnagatha.
- Manipravala-early and medieval manipravala works including aattakkatha and champu.
- Folk literature.
- Kilippattu, Thullal and Mahakavya.
- Unit 5- Modern Literature-Poetry
- Venmani poets and contemporaries.
- The advent of Romanticism-Poetry of Kavitraya i.e., Asan, Ulloor and Vallathol
- Poetry after Kavitraya.
- Modernism in Malayalam poetry.
- Unit 6- Modern Literature-Prose
- Short story
- Biography, travelogue, essay and criticism.
IAS (UPSC CSE) Mains Malayalam Paper 2 Syllabus
This paper will require first hand reading of the texts prescribed and is designed to test the candidate’s critical ability.
- Ramacharitam-Pattalam 1.
- Kannassa Ramayanam-Balakandam first 25 stanzas.
- Unnunilisandesam-Purvabhagam 25 slokas including Prastavana
- Mahabharatham Kilippattu- Bhishma Parvam.
- Kumaran Asan-Chinthavishtayaya Sitha.
- G. Sankara Kurup-Perunthachan.
- N.V. Krishna Variar-Tivandiyile Pattu.
- ONV -Bhumikkoru Charamagitam
- Ayyappa Panicker-Kurukshetram.
- Attur Ravivarma-Megharupan.
- O. Chanthu Menon-Indulekha
- O V Vijayan-Khasakkinte Ithihasam.
- MT Vasudevan Nair-Vanaprastham (Collection).
- N S Madhavan-Higvitta (Collection).
- C J. Thomas-1128-il Crime 27.
- Kuttikrishna Marar-Bharatanatyam
- M. K Sanu-Nakshathrangalude snehabhajanam
- V.T. Bhattathirippad-Kannirum Kinavum.
Analytical and unconventional questions are appearing in previous papers so while preparing students should keep IAS Mains Malayalam Syllabus and previous papers for reference.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.