In IAS Main exam candidates are given the option to choose for 2 papers. You can choose Maithili language as an optional subject, if you have graduated in the literature of Maithili language as the main subject. Each Maithili paper consists of 250 marks. Duration for each Maithili mains paper is 3 hours. Candidates preparing for the exam should have a look at the previous year papers for practice from Here
IAS Mains Maithili Paper 1
Answer to be written in Maithili
Part A – History of Maithili Language
- Place of Maithili in Indo-European language family.
- Origin and development of Maithili language. (Sanskrit, Prakrit, Avhatt, Maithili)
- Periodic division of Maithili Language. (Beginning, Middle era, Modern era)
- Maithili and its different dialects.
- Relationship between Maithili and other Eastern languages (Bengali, Assamese, Oriya).
- Origin and development of Tirhuta Script.
- Pronouns and Verbs in Maithili Language.
Part B – History of Maithili Literature
- Background of Maithili Literature (Religious, economic, social, cultural).
- Periodic division of Maithili literature.
- Pre-Vidyapati Literature.
- Vidyapati and his tradition.
- Medieval Maithili Drama (Kirtaniya Natak, Ankai Nat, Maithili dramas written in Nepal).
- Maithili Folk Literature (Folk Tales, Folk Drama, Folk Stories, Folk Songs).
- Development of different literary forms in modern era.
(d) Short Story
- Development of Maithili Magazines and Journals.
Read About IAS Exam
IAS Mains Maithili Paper 2
Answers must be written in Maithili
The paper will require first-hand reading of the prescribed texts and will test the critical ability of the candidates.
- Vidyapati Geet-Shati-Publisher : Sahitya Akademi, New Delhi (Lyrics- 1 to 50)
- Govind Das Bhajanavali-Publisher : Maithili Academy, Patna (Lyrics – 1 to 25).
- Krishnajanm – Manbodh
- Mithilabhasha Ramayana – Chanda Jha (only Sunder-Kand)
- Rameshwar Charit Mithila Ramayan – Lal Das (only Bal-kand)
- Keechak-Vadh-Tantra Nath Jha.
- Datta-Vati-Surendra Jha ‘Suman’ (only 1st and 2nd Cantos).
- Samakaleen Maithili Kavita – Publisher : Sahitaya Akademi, New Delhi.
- Varna Ratnakar – Jyotirishwar (only 2nd Kallol)
- Khattar Kakak Tarang – Hari Mohan Jha.
- Prithvi Putra-Lalit
- Bhaphait Chahak Jinagi-Sudhanshu ‘Shekar’ Choudhary.
- Kirti Rajkamlak-Publisher : Maithili Academy, Patna (First Ten Stories only).
- Katha-Sangrah-Publisher : Maithili Academy, Patna.
Maithili spoken in Mithila state of Nepal and northern India. Improve writing skills for IAS Maithili literature exam. Handwriting should be legible for IAS Exam. A good command over the language is always helpful. Analytical and unconventional questions are appearing in previous papers so while preparing student should keep IAS Mains Maithili Syllabus and previous papers for reference.
Read About IAS Syllabus
Previous year paper
Candidates can have a look at previous year papers for the better understanding of the exam and its exam pattern
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.