IBPS PO (Institute of Banking Personnel Selection Probationary Officer exam) is conducted for the selection of Probationary Officer/Management Trainee in various participating public sector banks. It is a two tier entrance examination and includes a Preliminary Examination and Main Examination.
- Applicants who wish to apply for IBPS PO must have a Bachelor’s Deree.
- Shortlisted candidates based on their Mains exam score are called for Interview round.
- Final selection of candidates are done on the basis of overall performance of the candidate.
- It is essential to be familiar with IBPS PO Exam Pattern before appearing for the IBPS PO exam.
IBPS Preliminary Examination is scheduled to take place on October 13th, October 14th, October 19th and October 20st. The candidates who clear the Preliminary Examination are eligible to appear for IBPS PO Main Examination that will be conducted on November 30. IBPS Admit card for each tier will be released separately.
IBPS PO Exam Pattern
IBPS preliminary examination comprises of 100 multiple choice questions. The time duration for the exam is 1 hour (60 minutes). The medium of examination for General English section is English, however, it is English and Hindi for the other sections.
The major highlights about the preliminary examination of IBPS PO exam is given in the table below:
|Number of Questions
||English & Hindi
|Expected Minimum Cut off
Tips to Crack IBPS Preliminary Examination
The paper comprises of three sections in total, namely- English, Quantitative Aptitude and Logical Reasoning. Candidates should be well versed with the IBPS PO Syllabus to crack the exam. Below we will give you some tips in accordance to each section.
How to prepare for General English Section?
Firstly it is important to know which topics are relevant for English section, so that candidate will get an idea which topics to ponder on, in order to prepare well for the exam. Following is the list:
- Reading Comprehension
- Sentence Rearrangement
- Sentence Completion
- Idioms and Phrases
- Synonyms & Antonyms
Check how to crack English Language Section
Tips to Crack English Section
- English section tests your knowledge of General English. For this, candidates will have to read a lot. You can start by reading the editorial pages of daily newspapers.
- Increase your vocab by learning new words. Learning at least five words each day which will enhance your verbal ability and will help you answering the questions in this section.
- If you are having a tough time discovering new words, you can refer to different dictionaries like Oxford and Cambridge Learner’s dictionary.
How to prepare for Quantitative Aptitude Section?
The important topics for this section are as following:
- Mensuration – 2D and 3D
- Algebra Functions
- Heights & Distance
- Direction Sense & Time
- Speed & Distance
Tips to Crack Quantitative Aptitude Section
- Start with practicing basic Math by taking help for Class 9th and 10th textbook. Learn as many formulas as you can and try to experiment with your own shortcuts.
- In order to increase your calculation speed and save time, candidate must solve questions pertaining to puzzles, squares and cubes regularly. Track the time, each time you solve the puzzle and improvise on time management.
- Go through the previous year’s IBPS question papers, so that one can get a fair idea of type of questions, he/she will need to attempt in the exam.
How to prepare for Reasoning Section?
The important topics for this section are as following:
- Data sufficiency
- Non-Verbal Reasoning
- Seating Arrangements
- Blood Relations
- Syllogism, Statement and Conclusions
Tips to Crack Reasoning Section
- IBPS aspirant can improve his/her reasoning ability by solving puzzles within a time limit. This will be help you in time management too. Practice solving puzzles, twice in a day.
- Candidates must prepare Question bank for each section which will further help them in checking their knowledge and level of preparation. After complete revision, candidate can attempt answering these questions to get a reality check.
To score well in IBPS exam one should prepare well and attempt all the question with full confidence. Strategic approach, effective time management and prioritization of questions is the correct mixture to attempt IBPS Preliminary Examination.
Check IBPS PO Merit List
Preparatory Books for Cracking IBPS Exam
Reference books give you an idea about the exam pattern and also help in exam preparation. These books will certainly equip you to score well in the exam:
Books for Reasoning Section:
- A Modern Approach to Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning (Revised Edition) - R.S Agarwal
- Comprehensive Guide to IBPS-CWE Bank PO (English) 3rd Edition- Disha Publications
- A new Approach to Reasoning Verbal and Non-Verbal 2nd Edition- Indu Sijwali & B.S. Sijwali
Books for Qualitative Analysis:
- Quantitative Aptitude by RS Aggarwal
- The Complete Success Package – Bank PO Recruitment Examination (English) 7 – Arihant Publications
Books for English Language & General Awareness
- Essential English grammar by Murphy
- Target IBPS-CWE Bank PO/ MT Exam Practice Workbook with CD (3rd English edition) – Disha Publication
Online links for Preparation of IBPS
Online resources are quite time efficient and perfect for those who cannot afford to take regular classes. Here are some of the best websites for preparation of IBPS PO:
- Practice Questions - Aptitude Questions and Answers (India Bix Website)
- Video Lectures - VIDYA GURU Institute Youtube Channel. Their videos will really help you with a lot of shortcuts, tricks, grammar, vocabulary etc.
- Online Test Series - Leader in Test Prep (Test Funda Website)
- GK & Banking Awareness - GK & Current Affairs for IAS, UPSC, PCS, IBPS & SSC Exams (GK Today Website) and RBI Website
- English Vocabulary - Online vocab quizzes on Dictionary and Thesaurus | Merriam-Webster
- Discussion Forum - PaGaLGuY (Pagal Guy Website).