CDS Salary Structure, Pay Scale, Allowances & Benefits 2021
Combined Defence Service (CDS) exam is regulated by the Union Public Service Commission to recruit eligible candidates for various defence academics in India. After clearing the CDS examination, candidates will have to undergo training at Indian Naval Academy (INA), Officer’s Training Academy (OTA), Indian Military Academy (IMA), and Air Force Academy. After selection, candidates get great allowances and perks along with their salary.
Get FREE CDS 2021 Mock Tests, Sectional Quiz, Previous Years Papers. Click Here
The salary of the candidates is decided based on the designation of the candidates that are depending on their recruitment in the Indian Army, Air Force, and Navy varies according to their post. Candidates appearing for CDS 2021 can check out the information regarding the salary, perks, and allowances offered to officers working under these posts below.
CDS Fixed Stipend
During the training period, the lady and gentlemen candidates are given a fixed stipend of INR 56,100 per month. This is also the starting pay of officers working at Level 10. Again, this period is not counted as commission service. After getting successfully commissioned, candidates will be able to get all the arrears remaining based on their pay matrix with effect from their training period.
CDS Pay Scale & Salary of officers in Navy/ Army/ Air Force
||Pay Scale/ Salary
||INR 56,100 – 1,77,500
||Level 10 B
||INR 61,300 – 1,93,900
||INR 69,400 – 2,07,200
||Level 12 A
||INR 1,21,200 – 2,12,400
||INR 1,30,600 – 2,15,900
||Level 13 A
||INR 1,39,600 – 2,17,600
||INR 1,44,200 – 2,18,200
|Lieutenant General HAG Scale
||INR 1,82,200 – 2,24,100
|HAG + Scale
||INR 2,05,400 – 2,24,400
|VCOAS/ Lieutenant General (NFSG) / Army Cdr
||INR 2,25,000 (Fixed)
||INR 2,25,000 (Fixed)
Military Service Pay (MSP): For officers in rank Lieutenant to Brigadier also gets a fixed Military Service Pay of INR 15,500 each month.
CDS Allowances/ Perks to officers in Navy/ Army/ Air Force
Apart from a decent salary, officers are also entitled to some allowances and perks as mentioned below:
- Qualification Grant: Employees will be governed according to the newly proposed Higher Qualification Incentive (HQI). The order is yet to be issued by MoD.
- Flying Allowance: Pilots serving in level 10 and above pay scale gets a fixed allowance of INR 25,000 per month.
- Dearness Allowance: Same rates as applicable to the civilian personnel from time to time.
- Kit Maintenance Allowance: Combined with the newly proposed dress allowance of INR 20,000 per year.
- Field Area Allowance: Depending on the area and rank of posting, officers get the following field area allowances:
- Highly Active Field Area (HAFA) – For officers serving in rank 10 or above get INR 16,900 per month
- Field Area Allowance – For officers serving in rank 10 or above get INR 10,500 per month
- Modified Field Area Allowance – For officers serving in rank 10 or above get INR 6,300 per month
- High Altitude Allowance: High Altitude allowances varies for officers in the following manner:
- CAT I – For officers serving in rank 10 or above get INR 3,400 per month
- CAT II – For officers serving in rank 10 or above get INR 5,300 per month
- CAT III – For officers serving in rank 10 or above get INR 25,000 per month
- Siachen Allowance: Siachen allowance is INR 42,500 per month.
- Uniform Allowance: This has been covered under the newly proposed dress allowance of INR 20,000 per year.
- Transport Allowance: Transport allowance varies depending on the city of the officer as follows:
- Higher TPTA cities: Officers working in level 9 or above get an allowance of INR 7,200 + DA per month.
- Other Places: Officers working in level 9 or above get an allowance of INR 3,600 + DA per month.
- Officials of pay level 14 and above who are allowed to use the official car can either utilize the official car or take an allowance of INR 15,750 + DA per month.
- Children Education Allowance: Children Education Allowance of INR 2,250 per month is applicable from nursery to class 12. Allowance is given only for the two eldest children only.
- Free Ration: Officers serving in filed areas & peace are entitled to free ration.
CDS Benefits for officers in Navy/ Army/ Air Force
- Officers in Navy/ Army/ Air Force can get an Annual Leave of 60 days per year and casual leave of 20 days per year. Officers of CDS can encash their Annual Leave up to 10 days in addition to the Leave Travel Concession till 60 days in a career span to cover incidental travel expenses.
- Officers, along with their family members, get other benefits like free medical aid, group insurance scheme, accommodation on concessional rent, canteen facilities, group housing scheme, family assistance scheme, etc.
CDS Salary Structure and Pay Scale FAQs
Ques. What is the stipend offered to candidates during training?
Ans. During their training period, candidates are entitled to a fixed monthly stipend of INR 56,100.
Ques. How is the selection procedure of CDS conducted?
Ans. The selection process includes four phases namely: Written Examination, Personal Interview, Document Verification, and Medical Examination.
Ques. How long is the training period after the CDS examination?
Ans. The training period for Navy, Army, Air Force officers after CDS examination is of 18 months whereas for Officer’s Training academy it is for 49 weeks.
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.