To score well and achieve a considerable rank in the APPSC exam, it is quite necessary to have complete knowledge about its syllabus and exam pattern. The APPSC syllabus and exam pattern are quite similar to the IAS examination conducted by UPSC. Hence, the candidates must possess all the details regarding the exam.
Get FREE APPSC 2021 Mock Tests, Sectional Quiz, Previous Years Papers. Click Here
The candidates who will clear the Prelims exam will be eligible for the Mains exam. The interview is conducted as the last stage for the selection. Combined marks of mains and interview (out of total 825) are considered for the final merit list.
APPSC Group 1: Latest Exam Pattern and HIghlights
- There are three stages: Prelims, Mains and Interview
- The Prelims is a screening test which of two papers - a total of 240 marks
- Mains examination is a descriptive type consisting of 7 theory papers
- There is negative marking for wrong attempts in Prelims exam.
- Combined marks of candidate in Mains and Interview (out of 825) are considered for selection.
APPSC Prelims Pattern
APPSC Group 1: Prelims Exam Pattern
The prelims exam consists of two papers (MCQ type - each of 120 marks) conducted in an offline (pen-paper) mode.
- There are two papers, each of 120 marks
- There will be negative for wrong answers
- In the Prelims exam, ⅓ of the mask assigned to the question will be deducted for each wrong answer.
- Only the candidates who clear the cut off of Prelims exam will be eligible to attempt the Mains examination
||Paper I – General Studies
||Paper-II – General Aptitude
|No. of Questions
|Nature of Questions
APPSC Mains Pattern
APPSC Group 1: Mains Exam Pattern
- Only the candidates clearing the Prelims exam will be eligible for Mains exam
- It is conducted in offline mode
- There are a total of 7 descriptive papers; each of 150 marks
- It consists of two qualifying papers: English and Telugu
|Number of Papers
||Total 7: 2 qualifying + 5 papers for merit ranking
|Duration of Exam
||180 minutes each
|Nature of Questions
||150 marks each
||Telugu and English
- Note: Minimum qualifying marks are – 40 % (OC), 35%(BC), 30% (SC/ST/PH)
|Papers counted for Merit Ranking
- Paper 1 – Essay – on topics covering issues of regional, national and international importance and contemporary themes
- Paper 2 – Geography, History and Culture of the nation and the state
- Paper 3 – Political topics such as Constitution, Governance and Law
- Paper 4 – Economy and Development of India and Andhra Pradesh
- Paper 5 – Science, Technology and Environmental Issues
- The above papers can be answered in English or Telugu or Urdu, depending upon the preference stated in the online application.
- All these 5 papers must be written in the same language.
Syllabus for APPSC Group 1 Exam
The following subjects are covered in the syllabus :
- Current affairs: Questions based on the current affairs of national and regional importance are asked in the exam. A wide plethora of topics is covered under it.
- History and Culture: Following topics are covered under the subject of History and Culture :
- Ancient History
- Medieval History
- Modern History
- Indian Freedom Struggle
- India after Independence till 1980
- History of Andhra Pradesh
- Important Events in History of Andhra Pradesh
- Types of Architecture and Painting in Andhra Pradesh
- Historical Monuments in Andhra Pradesh
- Constitution Policy, Social Justice and International relations: This section of the exam deals with the political scenario of India. It also includes the constitutional development that took place in history. Following topics are covered :
- Indian constitution
- Recent Legislations passed/introduced in India and Andhra Pradesh
- Important Acts passed by India and Andhra Pradesh government
- Social Justice Topics such as child labour, women empowerment
- International relations of India with the neighbours and the superpowers
- Indian and Andhra Pradesh Economy: This topic deals with the economy of the country and the state. The topics included are :
- Indian Economy
- Macro Economics
- Micro Economics
- Recent Budget
- Economic Survey
- Banking System in India
- Economic pillars of the Andhra Pradesh’s Economy
- Andhra Pradesh’s Budget
- Planning in India
- Five Year Plans
- Niti Aayog
- Geography: The topics covered are :
- Physical Geography
- Important Physical feature of India
- World Geography
- Physical features of Andhra Pradesh
- Demography of Andhra Pradesh
- Demography of India
- General Aptitude
- Science and Technology
*The article might have information for the previous academic years, please refer the official website of the exam.